The purpose to the Prevalence of Iron Deficiency Anemia among Iranian Pregnant Women was to detect the average iron status for women who were in their 20-40’s living in Iran. The study was limited to healthy individuals who were not refugees, had cancer, or were undergoing hemodialysis as these groups would stand as outliers and skew the data. A total of 11,037 participants were entered into the analysis (Barooti, et al., 2010). Of these, 42% regularly saw a physician to be tested every month while pregnant. The other 58% had regular house visits from the physician. Hematocrit tests and urine samples were taken for each visit. The maximum percent of pregnant women who had anemia was 95%. Out of those, 67% were in their second or third trimester. The percentage of anemia in Iranian women during pregnancy is considerably highter than that of most EMRO countries (Barooti, et al., 2010).
If blood loss is causing iron-deficiency anemia, treatment will depend on the cause of the bleeding. For example, if you have a bleeding ulcer, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics and other medicines to treat the ulcer.
People who get kidney dialysis treatment may develop iron-deficiency anemia. This is because blood is lost during dialysis. Also, the kidneys are no longer able to make enough of a hormone that the body needs to produce red blood cells.
People who have gastric bypass surgery also may develop iron-deficiency anemia. This type of surgery can prevent the body from absorbing enough iron.
Adults who have internal bleeding, such as intestinal bleeding, can develop iron-deficiency anemia due to blood loss. Certain conditions, such as colon cancer and bleeding ulcers, can cause blood loss. Some medicines, such as aspirin, also can cause internal bleeding.
A transfusion of red blood cells will treat your anemia right away. The red blood cells also give a source of iron that your body can reuse. However, a blood transfusion is only a short-term treatment. Your doctor will need to find and treat the cause of your anemia.
If your iron-deficiency anemia is severe, you may get a transfusion of red blood cells. A blood transfusion is a safe, common procedure in which blood is given to you through an IV line in one of your blood vessels. A transfusion requires careful matching of donated blood with the recipient's blood.
To summarize for patients, during the first trimester of pregnancy, iron levels remained relatively steady. The body is able to store enough eaten iron for the body and the growing fetus. Begining the second and third trimesters, the fetus is growing and is in need of a larger iron supply which promotes normal development. The iron input is less than the iron required which causes anemia. Anemia is the most common hematological disorder during pregnancy which causes complications for the mother and fetus (Barooti, et al., 2010). Eating a well balanced diet, including lean meats, beans, and fresh vegetables are a good source of iron. Iron supplements are also recommended to aquire enough iron to sustain the mother and fetus.
The second article, Screening for Iron Deficiency Anemia-Including Iron Supplementation for Children and Pregnant Women was a case study based on a 25 year old female who has a family history of anemia and is currently in her first trimester of pregnancy. Regular checkups were done throughout the entire pregnancy. Regular iron testings were done. During the first trimester, the iron levels based on the hematocrit testings were at a normal range of 40%. By the second trimester, the numbers have dropped significantly to 26%. Iron supplements were added to the diet and increased the iron level to 54% by the end of the third trimester (Mabry-Hernandez, 2009).
You may need iron supplements to build up your iron levels as quickly as possible. Iron supplements can correct low iron levels within months. Supplements come in pill form or in drops for children.
If you have severe anemia, your doctor may recommend iron therapy. For this treatment, iron is injected into a muscle or an IV line in one of your blood vessels.
The goals of treating iron-deficiency anemia are to treat its underlying cause and restore normal levels of red blood cells, hemoglobin, and iron.
Treatment for iron-deficiency anemia will depend on its cause and severity. Treatments may include dietary changes and supplements, medicines, and surgery.